Date: whatever
We made it! After a long, long road trip, 9:30 a.m. to 9:15 p.m. and then 9:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. we arrived at our new, temporary home in Placerville, California. Besides the fact that our moving truck was 4 days late, our actual travel was uneventful, minus some thick fog and down-pouring of rain (with a beautiful rainbow afterwards). We were thrilled to have the drama before the trip instead of on it. Thank you Lord for guiding and watching over our caravan across three states. Although it is difficult to make such a trek in separate cars, with the plethora of quality time we’ve had since Brian’s lay-off, it was good for my soul to have some “alone” time. And, by alone, I mean, 2 kids and a dog and Me! Yes, those who are parents relish in the quiet times such as these, ones where you plug your children in front of the DVD and Gameboy/Nintendo DS’s and have all but an occasional burst of emotion upon the passage of the game, or distraught sighs when they are defeated…SILENCE to a mothers ears! Having endless hours to ponder lifes inconsistencies, stresses and issues, I was able to go through a process of grieving the loss of our former life of 18 years in the same location, same church for 14, same friends, favorite restaurants, meeting coffee houses, neighborhood friends and so much more. The worst thing upon our leaving our driveway, reminiscing through each room and who and what it meant to our family. Once leaving everything behind, grief struck. What I have, what I have worked so hard for, what would come, kids that I know and know me well now, but will not know me as they get bigger. Leaving the comforts of a Church Home and Family. Leaving current ministries, past ministries and future possibilities. It began to strike me that although I could guess how this might feel, until the physical separation became apparent, it was impossible to digest. As we pulled down our street, it seemed as it a parade was there, kids and parents, to give high fives and last goodbyes. It proved too hurtful and sad for my heart to bear with out releasing a leak. I could call each neighbor by name, felt confident to carry on a conversation and loved to get a call, or give a call for an ingredient need. I loved my neighbors and the “hood” itself. I envisioned the neighbor kids and mine, being the hoodlums of the future. Another dream lost. As we are driving along the Northern California entry, down Mt. Shasta, the rain pelting harder and harder and wipers on their highest speed . The best things about downpour rain: a free car wash, and hearing “I’ll Praise You In This Storm,” by Casting Crowns has new and such real meaning. We made it to Laleta’s house about 5:00 p.m. to reunite with our Brother and Sister-in-law and our kids’ cousins a yummy beverage and pizza to soothe our soul.
No comments:
Post a Comment