We are moving Somewhere, so I packed up my journal, but as sure as the sun rises, once packed, I NEED IT! I am a note-taker! I typically don't just sit and absorb things, but have to write down key point, quotes, stated or shared, that strike me, verses etc... I do this to compensate for my fleeting short term memory!
So, today, I get to church, feeling a bit naked without my Bible & Journal, but ready to soak in whatever it is that God has to reveal through Pastor Brad today, for me. Pastor Brad has a way of making the scriptures come alive to me, partly because he is an animated, passionate teacher, speaker & story-teller, but also because of the history, detail and true understanding and explanation of the language that The Bible was originally written. I love to learn about the original Hebrew or Greek words used in the Bible and hear their literal translation, as used or understood by the people of their times. Sometimes the English translation of the Bible, for me, looses something along the way. The Ah HA Moment often comes when I begin to understand more intimately what Jesus was trying to say or communicate.
Today, Brad spoke on Matthew Chapter 5, verses 21 - 26.
Murder
21"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder,[a] and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother[b]will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,[c]' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.
23"Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.
25"Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still with him on the way, or he may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. 26I tell you the truth, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.[d]
Brad described that "Raca" meant basically, airhead. So when he spoke of people saying, "Raca, You Fool!" It translates to us as, You airheaded Godless moron! Jesus' talking about OUR ANGER! The things we say and do, and the bitterness that's caused by our anger.
Brad's point was that Murder is the Most, ANGER is the Least, where as society may accept anger and hate, but not murder, GOD Accepts NEITHER! We can probably rule out Murder in our lives, but can we leave Anger & Unforgiveness as easily? "Anger is MURDER on the SOUL!"
I've heard that hate is murder in my head, and that it does bring death to myself by harboring and obsessing on it, but to state that anger murders my own soul, LAYS IT OUT. Committing murder may just be what we allow ourselves to do to our own souls when we are not in check with Christ's desires and wills for our lives.
I can't help but wonder the murder I'm guilty of and what things or people I've not been willing to forgive and how I've committed suicide by murdering my soul. Don't worry, I am justified, well, not by Christ, but in my own head & maybe even a few friends I've successfully recruited in to support me!
THE BEST PART OF THIS teaching was when he came to the point of application. Who in your life are your adversaries? Those with whom you need to be reconciled? What If you just aren't able to let them off the hook through forgiveness and give it to God? What if the pains were so severe, the loss so tremendous, the bloody hole so deep, that just even moving in the direction of opening a dialog makes you cringe, fall tot he floor and maybe even vomit?
Then, Brad said," Instead of saying I WONT, maybe say, I CANT, LORD!!!!!!! We often assume in life there are two choices, the right and the wrong, the best/the worst, sacrifice/selfishness, but when the opposite of knowing I can work towards reconciliation, came forward, instead of saying, I WONT........offer I CANT!!! I am willing, but unable of my own power or control! Isn't it amazing how in giving away for power and control, you get it back?
Today, God revealed to me that somewhere between stubborn refusal & jumping two feet forward in reconciliation, lie the words: I CANT...But, here's the clincher......GOD CAN!!!
Thank you Lord for the place where obedience and humbleness meets with hurt, possible harm, & even worse, there YOU ARE, at I CANT! And it is there that we meet you and partner with your miraculous and perfect ways and redemption can be found for us, the enemy and the many who've watched, both close & far off.
No comments:
Post a Comment