Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Don't try harder, Trust Him more

I keep coming across the same message over and over again and I'm beginning to think that it's not coincidence?! Reading in, "The Relationship Principles of Jesus," tonight I read these lines that pierced my heart. "Jesus doesn't want you to try your hardest, Jesus wants you to learn to trust in Him. It's not a passive trust, sitting and waiting for God to act, it's a real trust, involving your whole heart, soul, mind, and strength. The greatest difficulties of life offer us our greatest opportunities to trust." No matter how many times I try to tell myself these things, I always seem to get it wrong.
I've been fighting against a critical spirit and negative thoughts that I allow and then seemingly take over. I knew this wasn't right, but didn't know how to go about changing it. It was suggested that memorizing this verse and recalling it to changing your thinking would help. "Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things." Philippians 4:8 To be honest, I did not think that merely changing my thoughts would have any success in changing my heart. I've asked God to reveal these times to me. I was becoming focused on my inadequacy-another friend of Satan's and finding a strategy to change directions was just what I needed. This path was leading me to destructive thoughts and left me feeling powerless to them. Going back, I'm not trying harder to think nice things, but submitting my selfish mind to God to reform.
We were at the aquatic center this Summer and our friend shared with me his view that Christians were not any different than anyone else. Of course the saying, "Believers are not perfect, just forgiven," and that has always rubbed me wrong. It still seems to hold a sense of arrogance and being a believer my whole life, I struggle with arrogance and doing the "Christian" thing. While there is pride in this way of thinking, there is also a steep downside and that is huge insufficiency. How can being a Christ follower mean a difference in outward behavior, but not involve a prideful heart? I think it is more to do with submission and faith than I ever knew. God, please reveal Your Truth to me in all this!
On another note, today was the day that a company was supposed to let Brian know if they wished to pursue him, or "go a different direction." We were both wroght with anxiousness all day. Around 3:30, he got an e-mail asking him to come tomorrow to meet again, tour the company and meet the staff. After 7 months of No's, we needed a certain and firm YES, but instead we got a vague...kind-of? We are unclear about what this meeting will entail, if it will be a full job offer and what the salary and benefits will look like. We are unassuming, but hopeful that tomorrow will give us a clear knowledge if this job and company will meet the needs of our family. The good news, I've leaned heavily on God's power today. The fight in hope, trust and disappointment has been like houseguests overstaying their welcome. I can't even verbalize the feelings I have wrestled with over the months. Praying for closure to this season of unemployment and to a new road for our family.

3 comments:

dvd said...

Hey G! Thought I would take a moment to let you know I am a faithful reader of your blog and am glad you started posting again. We continue to pray for you guys and miss you. Tell B I said 'hello'!

ArtworkByRuth said...

Praying, Praying and PRAYING! HUGS too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! I love reading what you write and think!!!