Saturday, November 22, 2008

"It requires patience, not yours...His."

Today I met with my wonderful friend, Angie. We have met for around 3 years, every Saturday morning from 7:30 - 11:30ish a.m. Time flies when two SAHM's get to enjoy a pastry, mocha and any and every topic! We missed last week, due to Brian being in Cali, and I have to say, my spirit is renewed when we do...and I lag when we miss! Our meetings have a purpose and that is accountability. When we began, we were not "friends" per se. We knew each other through leadership in Youth Ministry and saw each others' hearts for the Lord. Our relationship has been BUILT from the ground up. We agreed to be transparent, share the deepest of emotions, shame and hurts, ask each other about the things that tempt us, be blunt (in love) when needed and not agree when we shouldn't. We have become the best of friends, because of these things and because of the trust we've each earned she's my biggest confidant. I know she'll be there on Saturday, I know she'll ask me about the things I can hide from everyone else. She'll probably be the first to hear about my success and the first to see my hurts. It's dirty work some mornings. I have to admit the UGLY that is within me. She has helped me heal through many broken relationships, disappointments and my own sin. She has cared for my heart, as a sister in Christ, like I have never experienced and because of our relationship we have been able to be better friends to those we meet. Honesty, it was a fight to take the time for myself. Many people, especially women, do not understand and see it as selfish. Yes it is time I take from my family, and my husband sacrifices on Saturday mornings to parent alone so I can revive my soul. But the trade is priceless. I come home, reek of coffee house with the biggest smile and my soul singing! I hug my children, genuinely am thrilled to begin the day together and head into another week, FULL. I have something to give because I have filled the source. Is it risky to have this type of openness with another human being? Absolutely! Is it worth it? Well, my soul depends on it! I love you Angie!
Today, we discussed, among other things, this quote: "Slowness = God's optimum speed in bringing about His likeness in you." It seems as if the things that we, and others we care for, are praying for are not being answered. Health concerns, jobs, finances etc... We are crying out to our Savior and feeling unheard and even abandoned. The crescendo is this: "It requires patience, NOT YOURS...HIS!" I love the sarcasm in this! Here is how God states this: 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. **Quotes from "The Divine Mentor," by Wayne Cordeiro. Our sight and understanding is one dimensional and God's is infinite. Of course we don't understand. This I must remind myself again and again.
Last night I returned from my second stay with the Mahowald kids. Jeff & Kim were able to visit with family in AZ and I helped with the necessities on the home front. Four days without my family and at my house, once again reminded me how blessed I am with my own children, husband and home. I am more than thrilled to be with my family and sorry for the toilet I left plugged! Somethings even this tough-girl won't do! BTW, the toilet was plugged from 5 girls not flushing, not by my own doings! I must go and catch up on our brainless shows that bring me happiness. TTFN

No comments: