Friday, December 31, 2010

Bruchetta, Guacamole & an Arbor Crest Syrah....Happy New Years!

First of all ~ Check out my newest favorite songs on the top of my playlist...I am always so EXCITED to find new music that you just can't help but shake-it to and my top 3 are just that!!!!

My friend Michelle introduced me to "Tonight's Gonna Be a Good Night," by The Black-eyed Peas, a group that I'd love, but with 3 little pairs of ears in my car, I keep tuned into AIR 1, rockin' to Christian music most of the time. I love this song because it expresses my hope and excitement for the new year!

One thing I've struggled with this year is perspective. I've had none, or one, I guess would be more accurate! I am catching myself experiencing new things with a tad-bit of it, but one thing that gives good perspective is a good-old-fashioned-butt-kicking-of-a-year! 2010 WAS BRUTAL!! Two years ago, TODAY, Brian was laid-off and then it went downhill fast, but, God is in the business of making Beauty From Pain! PRAISE GOD!

Now, employed since August, he grumbled a bit today from work..."I'm so bored," he texted. Oh No You Didn't...so I quickly reminded him how thankful we are to have a job to be bored at!!! He thanked me for the words of encouragement! (You're Welcome.)

After 4 months of having a job and some hope for our future and rebuilding, the anger is beginning to fade and I am able to see The HAND Of GOD and how HE carried us and blessed us during this most difficult time. One of the biggest blessings was Relationship! Both Brian and I are hardcore, deep and intimate relationship people. We want to talk about the grit, struggles, hurts and experience true-ness alongside other people. God knew this and orchestrated our path to Lakeside Church in Folsom, CA...into Tony & Ratha's homegroup...and into the lives of so many AMAZING couples' lives!

Let me introduce you to Tony & Ratha, the people that became our best friends.

Ratha is honest & frank, a giver like I've never met, Fun & Crazy, an amazing cook and lover of Great food, a devoted mother, athletic and competitive, a hard worker & fully gives of herself to the point it hurts! She taught me so much about things that I knew little-of, and for this I am eternally grateful! Most weekends we made the drive down the hill and became "Regular's" at their house and they graciously invited us and welcomed us every time. I cannot count the hours/days/weeks we spent around their kitchen, cooking, eating, drinking & mostly talking...about EVERYTHING! No matter how much time we spent together conversations never lulled, it was never work to talk, it was just the easiest thing ever! Tony & Ratha taught me how to laugh and have fun...I took life and myself way too seriously and they showed me how to really ENJOY LIFE! We had a boat for about 3 years in Spokane and I tried a few times to ski & wake board, but to no avail, so when Ratha challenged me to wake board, I graciously declined...or obligatorily agreed, knowing, this butt wasn't gettin' up on the water. However, somewhere in that competitive heart of mine, I decided I would get up-and I did! Ratha & I spent the summer learning, together, and it was AMAZING! I was never brave enough by myself, but two are stronger than one! I don't know when I fell in love with Ratha & Tony, but somewhere I did and now my heart hurts because they are not near!

Tony's Story ~ Tony is not like any man I've ever met...he is sensitive and concerned about your feelings, deep and intimate by nature, open & transparent, giving and has a contagiously happy and fun nature. Tony is a pilot and you might expect someone with such a prestigious job to be arrogant and unapproachable, but that is not Tony. Tony is a rock-star! He is focused and intentional, but knows what is really important in life. He truly doesn't sweat the small stuff...he's 200% dedicated to his family, brings his wife flowers and cards an embarrassingly amount of times & has friends everywhere because he cares everywhere he goes! (And he drives a sweet boat to wake board behind!!!!)

Thank you Jesus for these amazing friends...please ease the pain of missing them!

~Gretchen

No comments: