I often listen to our Christian radio stations while in the car, one because at some point, I realized I had the choice to either worship God or not, and when I looked at it like that I realized that my selfish desire to stay current with secular music was really not that important in the grand scheme of eternity! Secondly, once my eldest son reached about 3, I became hugely aware of what I was letting enter his mind. "Oh be careful little ears what you hear...Oh be careful little ears what you hear, for the Father up above is looking down with love, so be careful little ears what you hear!" Children's songs sure have a way of stating the obvious, yet sometimes difficult Truth's of God. Anyway, all that to say, I heard the announcer make the statement today, "Misery often turns into Ministry." I love little catch phrases, they help me digest and implement new ideas or profound statements and apply them to my life. (That is partly why I love Dr. Phil-isms)
Today, I used, "You ask a stupid question, you get a stupid answer," probably not super politically correct, yet gets right to the point. (Thanks for that one, Papa!)
The idea of sharing in things that pain me deeply, gives me a hope, when there feels as if there's none. A few days ago, I spoke to our Small Group Coordinator at our church, about the idea of beginning a group regarding the difficulties of present life...foreclosure, job loss, short-sale, down-sizing, financial stress, living w/a mother-in-law, and life changes. This has been so difficult for me and I continue to struggle with purpose, groaning, being satisfied in everything and keeping myself from the depths of self-pity, anger, blame, disgust, frustration and far worse. If I miss this opportunity to turn something bad into something that blesses others and glorifies God, then maybe I've missed the point. I've thought about going to the support group for those who have lost loved ones, but don't want to trivialize my physical loss to those who have lost a child, or husband or wife, or mother or father. It isn't quite the same scale, yet there is mourning to be done, an old life to grieve, a way of being in this world that is lost. A loss of security, stability, and ability to predict what tomorrow will bring. It too needs a voice of understanding, compassion, empathy and support. As I began to search out what material God may be pressing me to use, I found this quote that deeply struck me: "Life need not be easy to be joyful. Joy is not the absence of trouble, but the presence of Christ." William Vander Hoven Convicted again!
1 comment:
I am still excited to read what God is going to do with this "blessed mess!" We love you and cannot imagine the prolonged pain and unanswered questions! Wish we were closer!
Post a Comment