I am officially a homeschooling Mom! Yes, I am one of those moms who you wonder how they can do it(and say you never could) who's kids you suspect are weird and socially awkward, or neurotic, or overly religious, or granola, or whatever you think of when you think of when you think of "homeschooling." My reason, a very personal choice, was made with the utmost consideration for what I truly feel is best, in my heart, for my son. Trust me, I've run through all the scenarios and believe that a Charter School/Independent Study will be what will enable him to be the most successful, for at least, now. A Charter School is a publicly funded program for families who wish to be more involved in their children's education. All the resources are provided with no cost to the family (I have an enormous stack of Teacher edition & workbooks), a teacher is assigned to meet with us every-other week & science is taught 2 days a week by an educator, in a traditional setting.
I won't go into what led us to this place because it is my son's to share when and if he wants, but essentially, although he is an intelligent & articulate child, he struggles with impulse control. When an idea is brought forward, he jumps in head first and is not able to predict the consequences that may ensue. This is a normal "problem" for children and teenagers and with all the stress of our family situation, a new school, new location etc....it has placed him in a difficult predicament. We feel it is most important for him to enjoy school, encourage positive peer relationships and be successful and just as when we place ourselves in tempting situations we are more likely to fail, so it is with our precious child. I know that homeschooling vs. public school vs. private school is a hot topic that most parents feel passionately one way or another. I always said, "I'd home school if I had too, but I don't want too." But, now is that time, for us. I hope it's temporary, but to be honest, I don't know. It'd be nice to send him off and have 6 hours of more freedom, but as a Mom, I have to and want to do what's best for our children and our family.
1 comment:
R has been homeschooling through the district this past year. She bucked us all the way even though it was necessary due to being out of country for so long. Now she is asking to be homeschooled again this next year! You can do it!
Post a Comment