Good morning, from PHF, and our last day here. We will be heading out to Beijing with a bunch of the interns, tonight, as with the unpredictability of traffic and an early flight, lend to possible trouble. We have completed our work and get to sightsee and shop for our last day, as we clean up and pull together all of our scattered stuff. Due to where we are, in the country, outside of Langfang, we have had nothing but authentic Chinese food for every meal. Breakfast has been toast and peanut butter-I can barely get it down because I've been so dehydrated, Lunch is made by the Chinese workers, for the kids, nannies and staff and then we go out to dinner. We went to a Hot Pot place last night, each person gets there own pot of boiling broth and you can add whatever to it to make it to your liking. Leah ordered, Lamb, Beef, vegetables (assorted greens), potatoes (which I ate most of them), Lotus root, weird mushrooms and we were given pickled garlic, peppers and carrots for horsdouvers. It was a lite meal for me, I came home to a growling stomach, but did try everything, but the lamb. Even Leah commented that for a picky person, I was very willing to try things. I have made an effort to try even the most odd things this trip, I haven't liked much, but I have been much braver this time.
Last nights dinner was also a bit odd, so when the tiny pear looking things came to the table, I was ecstatic! They looked like tiny pears on the menu, and Leah assured me they were deep fried pears. I took a confident bite, but did not get any pear...I then became a bit fearful. The next bite was more cautious, and then one of the girls said that she thought it was filled with red bean paste! Needless to say, the donut aroma'd pears were a disappointment! Fooled Again!
Yesterday we followed the Dr. on his rounds, shot some pics of the kitchen crew and then headed out with Mrs. Dr. Moody into town to get some local shots. She took us through the village next to PHF, where Brian & I jumped out to shoot the local housing. Ana & our Chinese speaking assistant, went into fabric, flower and pet shops that were outdoor vendors selling their products. We went to lunch at a beautiful garden restaurant and then came back to finish our photo session with 5 of the older boys, ages 9-13. One of the boys, Grady, who has severe scoliosis and feet issues, is able to walk with crutches, but is still very unstable. As we were walking back to our makeshift studio, he fell and skinned his knee...playing me a bit, but unable to resist, I offered to carry him. I hauled a 75-90 lb boy half way across Shephards Field on a blistering day. Through charades, he managed to tell me I stunk, while others laughed at the sweat dripping down our faces. We did get to see the first blue sky, but the heat was so overwhelming, that we'd be happy to see smog and fog for the rest of the time!
I have had a heart awakening for these children here. When you have the priviledge to enteract with these children, you realize that their "special needs" are really not that dibilitating for them, as they are for how we perceive them. In other words, life goes on for these kids, and they don't know that they are disabled. Having a foot amputated like Gregg, or cleft lip/palate, or missing an eye, or a heart defect, does not stop them from being independent, beautiful children. They are people, souls, Daddy's children, rather than being a certain disease. The fear of these differences has disappeared in meeting these children. Their smiles and laughs are the same as "normal, healthy" children. They desire and deserve to be with a family, have a place to hang there hat. I don't know what our role will be with this information yet. I certainly cannot bring them all home. I don't even know if we are to bring one home, but we will be advocates for these precious children and we know firsthand their potential and their hearts and longings. We have played, hugged, kissed and held these children as if they are our own, but only for a time and they need that everyday, forever! Is that supposed to be you? Just One? Can you save just One? We have gained far more than they have from this week. They probably won't remember it, but we certainly will! Just One? Can you save just One? These children, specifically these boys, age out at 14 years old. They have no future, no hope here. They are orphans and have disabilities, two strikes against them, in a country that values strong boys. Many of these boys were orphaned only recently when their families could no longer care for their medical needs. Just One? Can you save Just One? We did not come here by chance, Our Father brought us here and maybe it was to speak to you! To consider something crazy, out of the ordinary, difficult even. Maybe He is using us to speak to You. Will you listen and speak to Him. Let your heart hurt and feel and then maybe act on it? I couldn't come here and not plea on their behalf. We will post pictures of them when we're back in The States.
As for today, it is July 4th here. The lack of freedom has been so apparent this time. We have so much to be greatful for in the U.S. we are truly blessed.
Off to shower and pack...talk soon,
Gretchen
Last nights dinner was also a bit odd, so when the tiny pear looking things came to the table, I was ecstatic! They looked like tiny pears on the menu, and Leah assured me they were deep fried pears. I took a confident bite, but did not get any pear...I then became a bit fearful. The next bite was more cautious, and then one of the girls said that she thought it was filled with red bean paste! Needless to say, the donut aroma'd pears were a disappointment! Fooled Again!
Yesterday we followed the Dr. on his rounds, shot some pics of the kitchen crew and then headed out with Mrs. Dr. Moody into town to get some local shots. She took us through the village next to PHF, where Brian & I jumped out to shoot the local housing. Ana & our Chinese speaking assistant, went into fabric, flower and pet shops that were outdoor vendors selling their products. We went to lunch at a beautiful garden restaurant and then came back to finish our photo session with 5 of the older boys, ages 9-13. One of the boys, Grady, who has severe scoliosis and feet issues, is able to walk with crutches, but is still very unstable. As we were walking back to our makeshift studio, he fell and skinned his knee...playing me a bit, but unable to resist, I offered to carry him. I hauled a 75-90 lb boy half way across Shephards Field on a blistering day. Through charades, he managed to tell me I stunk, while others laughed at the sweat dripping down our faces. We did get to see the first blue sky, but the heat was so overwhelming, that we'd be happy to see smog and fog for the rest of the time!
I have had a heart awakening for these children here. When you have the priviledge to enteract with these children, you realize that their "special needs" are really not that dibilitating for them, as they are for how we perceive them. In other words, life goes on for these kids, and they don't know that they are disabled. Having a foot amputated like Gregg, or cleft lip/palate, or missing an eye, or a heart defect, does not stop them from being independent, beautiful children. They are people, souls, Daddy's children, rather than being a certain disease. The fear of these differences has disappeared in meeting these children. Their smiles and laughs are the same as "normal, healthy" children. They desire and deserve to be with a family, have a place to hang there hat. I don't know what our role will be with this information yet. I certainly cannot bring them all home. I don't even know if we are to bring one home, but we will be advocates for these precious children and we know firsthand their potential and their hearts and longings. We have played, hugged, kissed and held these children as if they are our own, but only for a time and they need that everyday, forever! Is that supposed to be you? Just One? Can you save just One? We have gained far more than they have from this week. They probably won't remember it, but we certainly will! Just One? Can you save just One? These children, specifically these boys, age out at 14 years old. They have no future, no hope here. They are orphans and have disabilities, two strikes against them, in a country that values strong boys. Many of these boys were orphaned only recently when their families could no longer care for their medical needs. Just One? Can you save Just One? We did not come here by chance, Our Father brought us here and maybe it was to speak to you! To consider something crazy, out of the ordinary, difficult even. Maybe He is using us to speak to You. Will you listen and speak to Him. Let your heart hurt and feel and then maybe act on it? I couldn't come here and not plea on their behalf. We will post pictures of them when we're back in The States.
As for today, it is July 4th here. The lack of freedom has been so apparent this time. We have so much to be greatful for in the U.S. we are truly blessed.
Off to shower and pack...talk soon,
Gretchen
1 comment:
Hope you are celebrating your freedom as Americans and in Christ this day, even in China! Thanks again for being salt and light!
Post a Comment